Thursday, May 21, 2015

What One Phone Call Can Do

In early April I mistakenly sent a compliment to Go Long Beach. I meant it to be an observation about tree trimming. 

At the time, I was just trying to see how long it would take the city to respond to a simple tree trimming request.  

 The concern was the trees were so overgrown on Grundy, virtually no street light was doing a thing to light the path a night.

I expected no response.

What happened was the city hired an arborist and the arborist agreed. As much as I like trees, when they keep the entire street darkness every night, it is a safety issue. 

A month ago, I noticed signs that the trees were interferring with the side walks and had been marked for removal. Two weeks ago the dumpsters show up and the trees started coming down


The point here is, when you ask for something for your neighborhood, the worst you will hear is no, so you might as well ask.

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually a bit saddened by the loss of all those old trees. They're chopping them all down on Gundry and the street is going to look much different.. I'm concerned that now the blight will stick out more and our neighborhood will look baren without those big old trees. I also noticed that the trees they're removing leave huge ugly stumps that resemble a skeleton sticking out of the dirt. I really hope that the people removing the trees take the time to properly take out the massive tree stumps. Just as important we need to make sure that the trees are replaced with something better and more appropriate for their location. They should also plant two trees for every one removed. I'd like to see some nice luxurious Palm trees planted or something ornamental that doesn't make a constant mess and tear up the sidewalks again. Does anyone know the details if this project task? Shayne?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I can work with Marry to find some replacement that isn't going to destroy the sidewalk or blot out the street lights. But those trees did blot out virtually every street light on Grundy at night. That street was pitch black after 8pm, and a great hiding place for bad people.

    ReplyDelete